From Florida Citizens Alliance
In the spirit of the holiday season, we will not hold our regularly scheduled monthly Wednesday evening meeting on Wednesday, December 22nd. In lieu of the meeting, we are asking that you will read through the following email and consider being a social studies textbook reviewer.
The Department of Education will be releasing for public review its short list of their Social Studies bid list from national publishers. The list with 123 textbooks is available below but the books will not be available electronically until Jan 6 for 30 days. We will be working with several organizations that will take part of the list and assign to volunteers. We will also take a part of the list and provide a template to fill out regarding the book you get assigned.
We will likely need 40-50 volunteers. We will be holding a Zoom orientation/training session on January 2nd at 8 pm.
Our Project Leader will be Denise Nystrom, [email protected].
Our intent is to train you on the template and the following focus areas:
1. Does the content embrace the new Civics Standards (https://www.fldoe.org/core/fileparse.php/18736/urlt/CivicsGovernment.pdf
2. No CRT–here is a resource: Rufo Critical Race Theory https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/critical-race-theory-fight/
3. No SEL — here is a resource: ‘Social-Emotional Learning’ Now a Vehicle for Critical Race Theory https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/03/09/social-emotional-learning-now-a-vehicle-for-critical-race-theory/
4) No Common Core (some publishers are still claiming to be CC compliant)
5) Investigate the publisher (do they have stated woke policies on their website)
6) Investigate the Author(s) – do they embrace “wokism”
Here is the link to the 123 books on the short bid list but the books will not be available until Jan 6
2022-2023 Social Studies Textbook Bids Short Report
Please send an email volunteering to participate to [email protected].
Once again, we will not be holding our December leadership team meeting on Wednesday, 12/22; our meeting schedule will resume in January 2023.
Thank you for all you do to support FLCA and Florida’s children. Your input and actions make a difference.
Wishing you all a very happy and healthy holiday season.
Dr. Evelyn Rossetti-Ryan
Executive Director, Florida Citizens Alliance