By Michael Hernandez, 9-20-22
SACRAMENTO—California Governor Gavin Newsom has launched a billboard campaign and a one-million-dollar state-run website promoting abortions in seven red states.
The billboard campaign which states: “Need an abortion? California is ready to help” was launched in Indiana, Ohio, Oklahoma, Mississippi, South Carolina, South Dakota and Texas with the website: https://abortion.ca.gov/ which also lists 169 California in-person abortion providers as well as six virtual providers.
The advertising campaign also includes a scripture verse (Mark 12:31): “Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no greater commandment than these.”
“This invokes (that) trying to protect a baby from being killed is not loving your neighbor,” said CeCe Heil, Senior Counsel for the American Center for Law and Justice (ACLJ), one of the most prestigious law firms in the nation. “This is using a bible verse to justify killing of a baby…There always has to be a justification or you can’t kill a baby.”
“Gruesome Newsom invokes Christ for evil law” is the name of the Sept. 20 ACLJ broadcast with Chief Counsel Jay Sekulow calling the campaign “evil…using the words of Jesus is a heck of a gusty move in a horrible way.”
(Editor: To hear the ACLJ broadcast go to: https://aclj.org/radical-left/gruesome-newsom-invokes-christ-for-evil-law.)
In a Sept. 13 news release from the Office of Governor, Newsom states:
“Abortion is legal, safe and accessible here in California – whether or not you live here, know that we have your back. As Republican states continue rolling back fundamental civil rights and even try to prevent people from accessing information online or crossing state lines for care, you’re welcome here in California and we’ll continue to fight like hell for you.”
(Editor: Read release at: https://www.gov.ca.gov/2022/09/13/california-launches-abortion-ca-gov/ or watch 45-second message from Gavin Newsom: https://twitter.com/cagovernor/status/1569717602104274945).
The bottom of the abortion billboard, states: “Paid for by Newsom for California Governor 2022.” Newsom tagged several Republican governors, including Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine, Mississippi Gov. Tate Reeves and Texas Gov. Gregg Abbott with the billboard image.
Joy Stockbauer, a policy analyst for the Center for Human Dignity, told The Christian Post: “Governor Newsom’s disrespect for the sincerely held religious convictions of Bible-believing Americans is disturbing, but sadly nothing new from far-left extremists within the Democratic Party.
“Perhaps Newsom wouldn’t be so desperate to draw vulnerable women to California if his actual constituents weren’t fleeing the state in droves due to his unwillingness to address the rampant violent crime problem.”
The abortion website received funding through a $200 million budget package funded by taxpayers as California seeks to be a sanctuary for abortions. The website states that California law allows minors to “independently consent to their own abortion care” despite any objections from their parents. The website links to http://www.teenhealthrights.org/ which tells minors they do not need your parents’ or caregivers’ permission to get an abortion if you are under 18.”
The Christian Post reported on Sept. 2 about California’s “historic” bill package of nearly a dozen bills that “erases the idea of an illegal abortion” passed by California lawmakers. They include:
- AB 1242: Blocks California law enforcement and other individuals from cooperating with other states’ investigations into abortion procedures deemed lawful under California law.
- AB 2091: Aims to ensure that out-of-state subpoenas seeking information on a woman who has had an abortion are not granted and gives the Department of Insurance ability to enforce violations on healthcare providers that release certain medical records.
- AB 1666: Prevents civil or financial penalties from being brough against women or abortions who had or committed a legal abortion in California.
- AB 2626: Professional boards cannot revoke the license of an abortionist who commits a legal abortion in California or another state.
- AB 2223: Removes the requirement for a state coroner to investigate deaths related to self-induced or criminal abortions.
- SB 1375 :Makes additions to exist law, allowing for nurse practitioners who complete board-recognized training to conduct first-trimester abortions.
- SB 1245: Supports funding for the Los Angeles County Abortion Access Safe Haven Pilot Program, which aims to advance “comprehensive sexual and reproductive health services” supporting Planned Parenthood Affiliates of California and other abortion advocacy groups.
- AB 2320: Establishes a pilot program that supports building community health centers that offer abortions in five California counties.
- AB 2586: Intends to “address the reproductive and sexual health disparities that Black, indigenous and other communities of color face.
- SB 1142: Create a “one-stop-shop internet webpage” linking individuals to places where they can access abortion, post-abortion care and financial assistance for obtaining an abortion. The webpage will be overseen by California’s Health and Human Service department.
- AB 1918: The California Reproductive Health Service Corps in the Department of Health Care Access and Information will recruit and train healthcare professionals who will be part of the “reproductive health care teams” working in underprivileged communities.
“Newsom is looking past a Joe Biden vs. Donald Trump matchup to a Gavin Newsom vs. Ron DeSantis matchup for President,” said ACLJ Chief Counsel Jay Sekulow.
(Michael Hernandez, co-founder of the Citizens Journal—Ventura County’s online news service is a former Southern California daily newspaper journalist and religion and news editor. Mr. Hernandez can be contacted at [email protected] and is editor of “America: The End and Our Hope”.)